"And returned missionaries, find your old missionary tag. Don't wear it, but put it where you can see it. The Lord needs you now more than ever to be an instrument in His hands. All of us have a contribution to make to this miracle." - Elder Neil L. Andersen

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

christmas.

Christmas is probably my favorite holiday - next to my birthday. The whole month of December, everyone is so joyful, loving, cheerful, and everybody wants to serve! There is a special spirit throughout the whole month and miracles happen. Last year, I was a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and spent Christmas away from my family. Christmas day was a hard but great day for me:

"I got to call home and talk to my family which was awesome. We just talked about normal stuff. We had a blast and I didn't cry until the very end when I had to leave a message for Richie. I totally lost it. It took me a while to recover from it but it made me really realize that I wasn't crying because I missed my family...I was crying because I love my mission so much and I don't want to go back home. We got to serve Sharon by singing to her and I felt the spirit so strongly. It felt good to serve her. Tonight I helped Sister Merciales do a three way call with her family in the Philippines. I called her family from the TC and then added her to the line from the phone she was using out in her area. It felt good to serve her. I love my mission!"




That day was a huge day for me. I finally didn't want to go home. I know, it sounds weird...especially since I still had another 9 months on the mission. However, I realized that I loved being a representative of Christ and that I wanted to do that and be that every single day for the rest of my life. When I told my parents we were going to do service, they were shocked! But, to me, that's what the Savior would have done. To me...it was normal. A family came and gave each of the VC sisters presents. They are one of my favorite families from the mission. What an example of Christ-like love they are to me. They glow with the love of Savior every time I see them.

Christmas this year was wonderful, but not as special as the one on the mission. This year, I was able to reflect on why last year was so great. I have come to the conclusion that it's because last year, I was representing him 24/7 that day. In reality, I represented him 24/7 for a whole year and a half! But that Christmas it wasn't about the presents, family, friends, homemade tamales, and the endless amount of text messages from people dear to me. It was who I was representing that day - the Savior. It was a day where I reflected on the Savior all day long. It was a day where I was able to testify of Him to people I met. It was a day where I gave thanks to Him for all that I have and am. Isn't that what Christmas truly is all about?

love,
Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment