Today I traveled back to California for Thanksgiving! I prepared myself by putting some pass along cards in my backpack in case I happened to sit by someone on the plane who could use one. Well, I was fortunate to have someone sitting right in front of us who was Catholic AND from Pleasanton! It was the first time ever meeting him but we had a mutual friend in common. His wife grew up in Utah which is why they decided to raise their family there (more specifically, Salt Lake City). The thought ran through my mind that this could be a great opportunity to give him a pass along card! However...it just didn't feel right.
After landing in California, we needed to make a trip to the Apple Store to get my computer fixed. My brother also wanted to get an upgrade on his iPhone which led to another unexpected opportunity to talk to someone about the church. The guy who was helping us ALSO used to live in Utah - more specifically, Cedar City. At that point my daddy had left to make a call to AT&T about a payment we needed to make before we could purchase the phone. I thought really hard who I knew from Cedar City and then it hit me..."you don't by chance know a Jazzy Barney do you?" Yup. He did. I told him that I served my mission with Sister Barney and he said how he was just thinking about her the other day because he noticed that she put some mission pictures up. He was super chill and asked some really great questions. I thought about giving him a pass along card as well but remembered how he made a comment about not liking "pushy" people. Again, it didn't feel right.
In both situations I wanted to give them a pass along card but I felt like the spirit was telling me to just be an example. Giving them a pass along card was a great thought but it wasn't the best approach for these two situations. I still can't explain it...but I'm grateful I followed the promptings I received and because I did, I tried even harder to be mindful of the words I used when talking to them. One asked me why I joined the church and instead of just pouring my testimony to him I felt like I just needed to come to his level to share it in a way that he would respond to. And, it worked.
love,
Liv
No comments:
Post a Comment