Since coming home from my mission, my perspective of my education has changed completely. I used to not give a single care in the world if I totally bombed a test. No emotion. I would look at that failing score on the digital board at the testing center, shrug and then text my roommate to see what the plans for the night were. I just didn't care! Well, I took my very first test in basically two years today and...I bombed it. Not an F but...basically an F haha. And I studied for this test for two and a half DAYS! No, not hours or minutes, days. I was devastated! I couldn't believe that I actually didn't get the grade I thought and felt I deserved. It didn't really hit me until I came home and Kaylee saw that I looked upset. I was looking through the fridge for some food and she asked me, "Liv, are you okay? You look sad." Here's a tip: never ask me how I'm doing when I look sad because you're asking for an automatic waterfall of tears streaming down my face. Yeah, I had a moment. I just told her how bad I felt for not doing good on my test and that sadly, it was an emotion that I had never felt in my entire life! Well, she tried to cheer me up but I knew that the only thing that would was my Ben & Jerry's ice cream (yes, I'm lactose intolerant but I didn't care at the moment), some Modern Family and an unexpected conversation with my best buddy.
I signed up for a program called the Best Buddy program through BYU and I get to be paired up with someone in the local community who has some sort of handicap disability and I basically get to serve her for the semester! I'm asked to visit with them at least twice a month and to attend activities with them. We finally talked for the first time today and she is a crack up! However, listening to her talk and just imagining the struggles she must have gone through in her life...I realized that I had no reason to cry over a test score. Absolutely no reason to be so low spirited. Talking to her on the phone healed me. Knowing that I was doing an act of service by just listening to her lifted my spirits up. I know that when we forget ourselves and serve others that we end up getting more out of it then the person we served. Isn't it funny how it always works out that way? I'm so grateful that I got to talk to her today.
So now, I'm off to the game! During my "moment" I told Kaylee that I wasn't going to go to the game because I wanted to stay home and study but that changed all because of Maureen, my best buddy :)
love,
Liv
No comments:
Post a Comment